Friday, June 03, 2005

 

Concentric Circles

Karen post recently on just how hard it is to keep up with all your friends. This is something I've been experiencing a lot recently myself. It's inspired this post, although I don't know how related to what she was saying it really was.

I remember a theorem that I was once told about “"circles”" of friends. I can't remember the number of circles, or what they involved, but the idea of a set of concentric circles with me in the middle and my friends scattered about by proximity of relationship is one that sticks with me...

But I'm going to go one step further. I'm going to take this illustration, and add to it, all my priorities. The closer something is to me in the middle, the more time you spend with it. That goes two ways, first because you put more effort into doing it (like say spending time with god would be something I'm putting a lot of effort into. The more I do so, the effort I apply is either to move it closer to the centre of my imaginary diagram, or to reach out to the point where it is. Either to improve my commitment to it, or to make an effort to go out of the way to do it "this once".

The closer it is to the centre, the shorter the distance from me, and that's the second way. Its less effort to spend time doing something your in a habit of doing. People who I meat up with on a regular basis, church, where I'm committed to attending regularly, bible study, quiet times (Ok, yeah, that one needs a lot more effort... to move it in).

If we wanted to take this analogy far too far, we could say things which are touching me in the inner circle are things I do instinctively. You could even add attitudes and the like to this. But I think I'm dragging this too far away from what I'm trying to say, so lets get back to the core of this.

You need to have your priorities. Some things are more important than your friends. God for one. Your own health. The things you are committed to, (the important ones anyway). If your friends are so annoyed at you for not prioritising them over something that is more important to you, its their problem, not yours. Certainly, re-evaluate whether that thing should be more important than them, but if it is, and should, then its up to them to accept what you can give them, or to not.

You can only give your friends what you have to give.

I've reached this point and I have no idea where I want to go from here, So I think this is where I will leave it.


Comments:
I think for relationships to work well, you need to place someone on the set of circles in a similar place (distance from you) that they place you. If you have them as a high priority and they have you as a low one then the frienship ends up being a one way street. Resentment can build and it can end up really bad.
That being said, everyones set of circles is different and you just dont have time for everyone in the same way.
So, I guess I am agreeing with you.
 
The circles theory is an interesting one- I have also heard it explained though slightly differently and in a far broader spectrum- I have studied at uni and TAFE about Macr and Micro worlds (mostly related to children and their worlds) and it talks about their Micro world being those in immediate contact with such as family, school and close social contacts (in our case- work, church, sporting group, etc) then mocing into the macro world- community, shop people, distant contacts, etc. I often have difficulty making that close circle 'close' and find that I have lots of friends on a second or third circle but only a very few in that immediate circle- my own fault- I am often not willing or too scared to take the steps necessary for a more in depth relationship.
 
This was rather refreshing to read - particularly, Matt, it's good to hear you identifying when something isn't your fault. Remember that post next time you're worried about being Doormatt ^_^
 
I really enjoyed reading this. Brought a lot of things into perspective. I've found that as we get older and our priorities change it gets harder and harder to keep in close contact with some of our old friends. Maybe some more effort's required on my part.

Very refreshing.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?