Wednesday, May 04, 2005

 

Mission

Karen writes an interesting article on Mission.

I must say I quite agree with her comments. (Note: this post is mostly about related but different stuff to what actually in karens post)

I have never been a big fan of off the cuff mission. I think evangelism is most effective when it is done from within a well established friendship. More than that, friendships should not be established for the purpose of evangelism. Evangelism should come out of a concern and love for our friends. Were not on this world to make Christians by underhanded means. Were not here to trick people into repenting. We can show those we care for love and concern, we can try to convince them through our actions, and through discussion that COMES FROM a relationship we share with them.

What I find abhorrent

1) Those that try to force religion down total strangers throats unwarranted and unwanted. This is one thing that gives Christians such a bad name

2) People making non-Christian friends for the purposes of evangelising them. This feels so counterintuitive to me. So if there not interested in Christianity at the moment we stop being their friend, thus proving to them that in fact we didn't really care for them, and were only being their friend to convert them, and thus making us into the hypocrites we try so hard to avoid being.

Yeah, so what's my point. Its this, have non Christian friends for the sake of being their friend. Don't make friends just to evangalise someone.

I'm quite willing to admit that I may be biased in this.. I'm not good at face to face mission, and unlike Karen I haven't tried it very much... So maybe I'm being unfair. There are people out there who would love to be converted by some random stranger talking to them about Christianity. But think about your Christian friends... How many of them do you know who would express their conversion in that way?

I guess perhaps both ways of doing things are equally valid.. but in your face and down your throat evangalism needs to be conducted with a great deal of tact and care to my mind.

Oh look at that, I've diversed a long way from what Karen was saying. Still, I think this is a valid point. If you don't, let me know why below.

Comments:
I mean this nicely, Matt, but do you know any christians converted in this fashion? I mean, any, at all, anywhere?

I know of some christians whose conversion was due to a religious awakening brought on by a stranger proferring them things. But those people are few, few and far between.

Missionary Friendship is only slightly better than Missionary Dating - at least in the former's case, there's slightly less emotional attachment. And both are an abortion of common sense and human decency.
 
Sorry, Im not quite sure how clear I was in my meaning in the post.

What I was trying to say is that there is a place for Misson (i.e. face to facing with strangers), but we need to be carefull, because theres a lot of room for error. There is also a place for talking with your friends about christiantiy.. (i.e. with people who are your friends, striking up conversations about something you feel strongly about.)

I know people who have been converted by both the above. Although more so by the latter.

However there is NOT a place for what you so aptly term Missionary Friendship. [As in 2) above where I describe it as abhorrent]

So I think your agreeing with me.. Perhaps?
 
I'm with you on this too. But, like you, I may be biased too. I'm an introvert and I find it exhausting to start up conversations with people I don't know. I've had some great conversations about Christianity recently with people in my office, but I've only been able to do that because I've already built relationships with them.

On the idea of missionary friendships... It reminds me of when I was an undergraduate and at some point at CBS we were encouraged to make non-Christian friends so we could invite them to outreach events etc. I found it slightly amusing, as at that stage, all my uni friends were non-Christians. I never really managed to get into the CBS social scene...

But, I guess people have different personalities, different strengths and weaknesses, and so are more comfortable with certain types of evangelism than with others. We used to have a student pastor at our church who could talk to anyone about Jesus - he'd be on the plane to Lebanon (where he's now a missionary), strike up a conversation with someone, then take them to church in Lebanon. Pretty amazing. Praise God that he can use all types of people - we don't all have to be like that!
 
I'm going to write some more on my blog when I get a chance. But I _have_ done a lot of walk-up.

And I _have_ had a person become a Christian as a direct result of that walk-up.

Cold-contact evangelism is hard. Both because it challenges you courage, but it also challenges your heart.

Something I need to constantly remind myself, as I talk to people, is exactly how much I care for them. It IS possible to have a deep love and affection for someone you've only just met. Heck. Here is this person. Who may not know the gospel. In this 10 minute conversation I am having with you, I would desperately like you to be saved. But if you ever get jaded, then you need to stop and re-analyse.

One of the reasons I feel like a Missionary at Quakers hill is this: every time I meet a non-Christian at Quakers Hill or UWS, I am reminded that I AM meeting them because I want them to know about Jesus. That is the complete and only reason for me being at UWS Blacktown and living at Quakers Hill. I don't think that makes any of my friendships or relationships or acquaintances any less real. The only reason I'm living where I'm living, and talking to the people I'm talking to is the Gospel. If not for the Gospel I would have stayed in the comfortable eastern suburbs with my friends I already have.

I suspect the same would go for a lot of missionaries.
 
My brother has commented on this too.
 
A week after I knew what I wanted to write, I finally got some free time on a computer.
Three bits:
http://haoran.axe.net.au/blog/index.php?itemid=241
http://haoran.axe.net.au/blog/index.php?itemid=243
http://haoran.axe.net.au/blog/index.php?itemid=242
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?