Saturday, May 28, 2005

 

Guilty? Fair?

So they found her guilty. Its the big topic of conversation. Ive already rambeled about it a bit (in the comments).

But I just wanted to make a post of my own about this. My impressions... I dont watch the news, or read the papers very much at all, so all the impressions I have on this are second hand , from others reading the papers twisted view, and then giving me their impressions.

And almost without fail, before the trial had even started, everyone was complaining. complaining about how their justice system wasnt fair. Complaing about the fact that she wasnt being tried over here. Complaining about the death penalty.

Knowing none of the facts, our entire country was up in arms in defence of the unfair treatment of someone who hadent even been tried yet (Exageration used here, I admit it)

I have something to say to them, although I didnt often say it. It was too inflametory. The trial is to determine wether she is guilty or innocent. You cant really claim something is wrong before its even happened.

So now the trial has happened. The verdict has been handed down. Shes guilty.

I cant immagine a set of circumstance, short of an admission of guilt or an innocent verdict, in which we wouldn't have had this public outcry. Everyone was convinced that the trial was corrupt, unfair. Consequently the fact that she has been found guilt is obviously a result of that.

How many of the people decrying the indonesian legal system were actually in that courtroom. How many of them have ANY view of the trial other than the one provided by the media (Who lets face it, want you to be outraged, they sell more papers that way)

This post must come across like I think shes guilty. I dont. I dont think shes innocent either. I dont have enough information to know either way.

And untill I do Ill avoid making sweeping generalisations about how horribly unfair this trial was.

I suggest you do the same.

Incidentally, here is an amazing article, which I found quite insightfull, on this.

Comments:
Good points there. I've actually posted my brief comments on my blog too :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?